Each year, I see the holidays become more and more commercialized. This is the first year that I have come face to face with the commercialism. It turned me into a grinch by December 1. It's really quite sad that people only buy gifts to avoid being judged. Children are raised to believe that this is what Christmas is all about! They only get get get and never give give give!
I've gotten where I cannot stand the sound of the carols, the stupid bell that's being rung outside of every store, and the TRAFFIC that surrounds every mall in the country!! It all just makes me so sick!
There was a time that my family could not afford a Christmas tree. Now I know of families that have MULTIPLE christmas trees. I've never heard of such madness! It's really very sad that people buy $600 worth of Christmas DECORATIONS rather than donating that money (or even the decorations) to charities.
I really would not mind the holidays so much if not for the disgusting commercialism that has emerged.
.e.
2 comments:
your right about everything. i went to a mall to drop a popcorn machine and i couldnt find a parking spot anywhere. and i met this guy who bought his kid a gameboy. and then the next day he wanted a playstation 3 and he went out and bought it for him. and im thinkin what a spoild ass kid. anyway i like what you said.
VERY TRUE! I've been saying the same thing for a few years now. The last couple of years, I've spent Christmas in the Los Angeles area, and the commercialism is way more apparent there than in my home town of El Paso, TX. It's sick how this country is turning such an important holiday into a season of gluttony. We're supposed to be giving, not wanting. And kids these days.... If they don't get what they want can turn almost resentful. Back when I was young, I was lucky to even receive anything that i actually wanted. Kids are too spoiled. Take away everything they have for a day and they'll go into withdrawals like a drug addict. Thats why i say we should teach our kids the real meaning of Christmas, be it the religious view of it, or just the moral view of it. Kids should grow up understanding that you cant get everything you want, and that you shouldn't spend your time worrying about yourself and what you'll be getting this Christmas, but instead trying to do good for a less fortunate neighbor.
Well put!
Post a Comment